At 08:31 AM 7/10/02 -0400, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>it must
>be pointed out that the objection applies with equal force to every
>manner of lock or barrier whatsoever: What!? I can't go through this
>door without  securing your approval in advance and obtaining the
>proper "key"? You're treating me like a criminal!

Sorry, Andrew, I agree with you about most stuff, but this analogy is a bit
rubbishy. It's my door, my house, all bought & paid for by me. I'm not
being put up in a hotel. If you want a closer analogy, it's as if they hold
the keys to my house, and every time I add a room or rebuild the bedroom or
even replace the water pump -- having done that a few days ago, I'm a bit
touchy about it :) -- I have to call up the original contrator to get new
keys to my house, and wait outside in the snow until they arrive.

Despite the desperate IP claims that I'm only renting the product, that's
really not true. I am buying my personal copy, and both law and practice
have come down on my side that it's my copy to do with as I wish. And, of
course, when stuff falls into public domain, of what value is it if the
public can't get to it? In the US at least, creators are afforded
protection for a limited time, after which it rightfully falls to the
public. That's the bargain. Copy protection and the likely failure of it
violates the spirit of that bargain.

The record companies are trying this trick with copy-protected CDs. The DVD
folks already locked up regions. But at some point, either the populace
will accept it through sheer sick&tiredness, or they'll stop taking it, and
either stop buying this orwellian crap or push some legislation (the less
desirable situation, but they're just inviting it with this behavior), put
the companies out of business, and provide an object lesson for future
companies so involved with their own greed.

Dennis