At 7:15 AM -0400 7/12/02, David H. Bailey wrote:
>Orchestral instrumental parts are not always printed on separate
>staves, so perhaps you need to rethink your modus operandi.
>
>Often Flutes 1 and 2 are on the same staff on a single part, same
>with most woodwind and brass parts.  So the horn parts are often
>Horn I/II and III/IV in newer works and Horn I/III and II/IV in
>older works, making two staves in the score and only two printed
>parts (with copies, of course so each player gets a part to practice
>from.)

This DOES happen, but it is a major pain if the parts are in the
least bit complicated. Separate parts is preferred, if the budget
permits.

>If for any reason you feel the parts need their own staves, and
>maybe even their own separate pieces of paper, what you would do
>would be to create your score the way you want it (i.e. multiple
>parts on single staves) and then extract the parts to their own
>files.
>
>Then, to keep on with the horn I/II example, you would open the part
>file and then you would explode the music so that each horn part was
>on its own staff and from here you would extract the second staff to
>its own file and then delete the second staff from the hornI/II file.

By all means, use TG Tools Smart Part Extraction for this, as it is
one step, simple, and amazingly complete. I can't say enough good
things about it. Extract the horn I/II part, then working on the
opened part as you say, apply TG Tools to make new staves, leaving
the originals in case anything goes wrong. Then Extract Parts for the
two new staves. The only thing to worry about is if the option is
checked to display defined bar numbers or actual bar numbers, as TG
Tools needs to know this, or else chaos ensues.

>But by all means get the score to look exactly as you want it -- it
>has been my experience that it is far easier to work with extracted
>parts than to create a score to extract parts from and then from
>that score to attempt to force it into my desired end result.

Others may feel completely different on this issue, and I do hope
others chime in with different working methods.