On 16 Jul 2002, at 10:18, Linda Worsley wrote:

> I love Finale, warts and all, and while I understand the many
> complaints, I sometimes want to go on the list and shout "This is
> your mother speaking!  Stop whining or I'll stop he car!" Don't ANY
> of you remember what it was like to make scores with ink and Ozalid?
> Ink and Paper?  Even pencil and paper? And NO PLAYBACK at all

I vehemently disagree with these kinds of posts that say Coda should not
"waste" time on improving MIDI facilities.

For professionals like Linda, who have dedicated professional-level
sequencers for polishing up a MIDI performance, that's all well and good.
But Finale's MIDI and playback facilities (two different issues, I'd say)
still need to be kept up-to-date or they will serve to frustrate (and
drive away) the new user populations that Coda needs to attract to Finale
in order to stay in business.

New programs *can* take over categories previously "owned" by other
programs, even without monopoly control of a market (e.g., Wordstar
->WordPerfect in the old DOS word processing days), and they do it by
adding features and ease of use that the old programs do not have. In the
Wordstar/WordPerfect example, it was universal printer support,
especially for laser printers and proportional fonts, that tipped the
balance, along with a plain user interface that allowed easier onscreen
document formatting (hiding the codes made it a lot easier to tell what
was going to print).

For Finale, the problems art two-fold:

1. making Finale provide acceptable playback out of the box, taking into
account all reasonable information in the score (including hairpins and
slurs).

2. making the parts of the MIDI interface that are really bad (any of the
continuous controllers, for instance) easier to use, utilizing the same
UI conventions that have proven over time to be the easiest for users to
understand.

For those who don't use Finale playback for anything other than aural
proofreading, these things would improve that playback and cut down on
the amount of work necessary get the most basic playback. For those who
could use better playback control and MIDI capabilities in Finale, this
will be a boon. And for the new users that Finale needs to attract to
stay viable, it would also remove one major hurdle to wider acceptance of
Finale.

Personally, I have a lot of difficulty with sequencers because I'm so
bloody notation-oriented. To me, the world's worst representation of
musical data is a piano roll or an event list (even though I understand
that these representations are useful for certain tasks; well, I
understand the use of event lists; piano rolls I see no utility in
whatsoever -- they take up a huge amount of space to represent the data
while leaving out an awful lot of information; there's a good reason why
we don't use piano roll notation as our standard, because it's so
horridly inefficient and while precise, impossible for a human being to
interpret reliably without special tools; but I digress), and the idea of
volume knobs and sliders for representing continuous data that change
over time seems a terrible idea.

And the other issue is that as a Finale file gets edited, all the tweaks
in the sequencer have to be re-applied to the new source MIDI file. Maybe
I don't wait long enough to produce the MIDI file for tweaking, but I
just hate the idea of having to re-do edits that have already been done
in another file. If all the performance editing is done in Finale, the
MIDI file produced by Finale will always be up-to-date.

That said, I see no utility in providing full sequencing capabilities.
But basic control of tempo and volume should be easy and straightforward.
Access to more advanced features could perhaps be provided with access to
an event list, so that the advanced user who needs to insert SYSEX
messages or something not editable through the interface Finale provides
would still be able to make esoteric changes without having to resort to
a sequencer.

And last of all, it always puzzles me why people who don't want time
spent on improving a feature of Finale somehow assume that it is entirely
a zero-sum game. Yes, Coda's programmers have finite time, so given any
particular time period, only so much work can be done, and if playback
editing is completely revamped, it probably means that *for this
particular upgrade cycle* some other major area of the program will *not*
be revamped. But in the end, if we assume that the program will continue
to be produced and updated by Coda, all the major elements of Finale will
be addressed, as Coda has shown over the years already. Revamping
playback facilities does not of necessity mean that the same upgrade will
not also greatly improve tuplet editing and control. It depends on what
Coda considers a priority, based on both comments from their existing
user base, and on what Coda ascertains are the needs of the broader
community of potential Finale users.

Right now, from what I understand, playback control is one of the most
out-dated areas of the program, little changed in much more than five
years. I am still using WinFin97, and from what I've heard and read,
playback control has not changed in any major way since then. And the
facilities in WinFin97 are little different from what they were in 3.52,
the first version of Finale in which I utilized playback facilities at
all (didn't have a sound card before then). Almost all other major
aspects of Finale have undergone significant improvement since then (text
handling, page layout, slurs, beaming, etc.), and I think playback is
just about due.

I fear that if some attention is not paid to the issue soon, Finale will
get a reputation as being hard to learn/use.

Oops! Too late!

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc