At 01:13 AM 7/18/02 -0400, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>The problem with the pitch wheel is that it alters EVERY pitch being
>played on that MIDI channel, making it useless for tuning chords.

Ah, yes, absolutely right. I would have remembered this only when doing it,
and would have created a separate performance version with all notes on
separate ports and channels. Since up to 256 instances of LiveSynth Pro
with 16 channels each are used in Sonar, I haven't been using chords. And I
have banjo, guitar, etc., tuning to equal temperament. Now you got me going...

>The Proteus (good choice, that was one of the few I was thinking of)

And sadly, mine has a stuck B-flat and no C, and is now retired. I still
have a Proteus FX, but pulled out my Midi card a two years ago when I went
entirely to softsynths.

>allows you to create different tunings for each note of the chromatic
>scale (yay!) but it becomes more of a problem, say, if you need BOTH
>a G# and an Ab in the same passage. There is a kludge, but it is
>pretty complicated, especially since it involves changing the MIDI
>note number, which involves hidden layers and muting in Finale. This
>is the "not an easy task" I was referring to.

That's certainly true. Creating performances of my quarter-tone pieces has
had big issues, because in such pieces the irregularity of traditional
scale notation (and how Finale understands and renders accidentals) comes
into play. Ack. Nasty.

>I don't know what the SoftSynth method is, but I hope it is chromatic
>like the Proteus, though you STILL have to change it every time you
>modulate.

I've just asked the question over in the Cakewalk/Sonar forum. Since I
retired the Proteus, I haven't done anything but pitch-wheel adjustments
using softsynths. I hope you're about to stampede me into a panic of
getting my Proteus fixed!

I'll report back on tuning table usage in softsynths. I know that Audio
Compositor can do it with soundfonts, but it's a standalone, not a DXi or
VST plugin. Back to components? Say it ain't so!

Dennis