At 4:44 PM 09/19/02, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

>Now, "undo" will correct the lyric displacement that occurs in steps 6 and
>10, but I
>submit that since lyric displacement does not happen on type into score,
>it should
>not happen after "edit lyric", either.  The results of inserting or deleting
>syllables in both modes should be exactly the same.

I agree that the two modes should be the same. More specifically, I think
that inserting or deleting syllables in the Edit Lyrics should not result
in lyric shift.  This problem would be solved if every insertion or
deletion in the Edit Lyrics box caused assignments to subsequent syllables
to be incremented or decremented accordingly (as I recommended elsewhere).
In the example you cite, that would make Edit Lyrics edits behave the same
as Type in Score edits.

All of this has nothing to do with undo, which behaves properly in all
cases here.

>Finally, using "edit lyrics" to clean up extraneous hyphens from a lyric
>block has
>results which I have not yet explored enough to understand completely.  My
>experience thus far suggests that in some cases, if there are two hyphens in
>succession, with or without intermediate spaces, all but one of these can
>be removed
>from the lyrics block with no detrimental effect, and hyphens which prefix a
>syllable without an intermediate space can also be readily removed with no ill
>effect; but otherwise, the removal of hyphens using the "edit lyrics" block is
>beyond my present capability to predict.

Here, I'm at a disadvantage. In my usual method of lyric entry, I would
never type consecutive hyphens, nor would I type a hyphen followed by a
space. Furthermore, in my experimentation with Type-in-Score, I can't find
a way to cause either of these to be created. Thus, I'm not sure why you'd
ever have consecutive separators in the first place.

But if you do, here's how it works. There are three characters which are
treated as separators: space, hyphen, and carriage return.  Any string of
characters between separators is treated as a single syllable.

Any number of consecutive separators is treated as a single separator. If
that collection includes a hyphen, the separator will act like a single
hyphen; if it does not, it will act like a single space.  Consecutive
hyphens are therefore redundant, and that's why you can safely remove all
but one.  Consecutive spaces are also redundant, and that why you can
safely remove all but one.  In a space-and-hyphen combination, the space is
redundant. If you remove the space, it still acts like a hyphen; if you
remove the hyphen, it will still behave like a space.

If you delete a non-redundant hyphen or space, you have removed a
separator.  Without the separator, the text on either side combines into a
single syllable.  For example, if you had "do-re-mi", you have three
syllables.  If you then delete the first hyphen, "dore" becomes a single
syllable.  You have essentially deleted a syllable, and "mi" will be
shifted to the left, just as if you had deleted "re" outright.

I don't know if this answers your question, since I'm not sure what your
question is.

If you're syllables are out of order on account of how they were entered in
type-in-score, that could introduce other problems if you make changes in
the Edit Lyrics window.

A hyphen on the score behaves properly only if the syllable which follows
it in the Edit Lyrics window is also the syllable which follows it for the
purposes of hyphenation in the score. When you use Type-in-Score, Finale
tries to determine the proper order of syllables within the Edit Lyrics
window. Under normal circumstances, it will guess right.  It may get
confused, however, by certain combinations of deletions and insertions. And
of course it will get it wrong if you deliberately mislead it, by entering
the syllables in separate verses, for example.

mdl