Finale 2004 Registration FAQ’s

Q. Does Finale 2004 have copy protection?
A. No. It does, however, require software registration
within 30 days of installation. Failure to do so will
temporarily disable printing and saving until you do
register. You may also install Finale on two machines
(on the same platform – an additional platform disc is
$50) for your personal use under one serial number at
no additional charge.

Q. How does this differ from Sibelius?
A. Sibelius Software employs an encryption system to
unlock the program to enable use. You are required to
register the program with Sibelius within 5 days of
purchaser the right to use the product on a single
terminal of a single computer in a single location. A
second license may be granted in certain instances for
non-simultaneous use, by the same user, for an
additional fee. Any further use is prohibited.

Q. How do I register?
A. Finale provides a Registration Wizard that walks
you though a few simple steps. If your computer is
on-line, authorization occurs automatically at the
conclusion of these steps.

Q. What if I don't have an Internet connection?
A. The Registration Wizard can print out a form that
can be used by fax or mail. If you call MakeMusic! we
can provide you with an authorization code that will
complete your registration. Similarly if you send your
form in by mail or fax, this code will be returned to
you by the same means.

Q. How long will this take?
A. If you have an Internet connection it will take
seconds. If you place a toll-free phone call, it will
take minutes. If you fax us, we will typically return
the fax by the next business day. If you send in your
registration by mail, we'll return your authorization
by mail, and this will take several days.

Q. How many times can I install Finale?
A. You can install and reinstall Finale an unlimited
number of times on the same computer. If you own more
than one computer you can install on the second
computer an unlimited number of times as well. Should
you get a new computer (or hard drive) and have
previously only installed on one computer, you're
still fine. Should you need to install on a third
computer (say after buying a new machine), you will
need only to place a toll-free call to MakeMusic!.

Q. What happens if I reformat my hard drive?
A. You will have to reregister, but this will not
decrement the number of machines you can install on.

Q. If I find something I dislike about this software
registration, may I return Finale for a full refund?
A. Yes. If you purchased either Finale or a Finale
upgrade directly from MakeMusic!, and for any reason
are not fully satisfied by it, you are welcome to
return the software for a refund within 30 days of
your purchase.

Q. Why are you requiring software registration at this
time?
A. The worldwide Finale user base has grown
dramatically over the years. The demands on our
Technical Support and Customer Service resources have
grown in step. Unfortunately, the growth of illegal
copies of Finale has also grown dramatically.
Registration affords us the means to continue to
provide the best possible service to our loyal, paying
customers and minimizes the impact of illegal copies
on our ability to reinvest in product development.

Q. How does this work in a site license setting?
A. Finale comes with built-in support for KeyServer
for network uses. An additional network solution for
those not using KeyServer will be available in a
forthcoming maintenance release. In a site setting
with no special server or network needs, computers
must be registered individually.

Q. How do I transfer registration from one computer to
another?
A. Right now this type of transfer is possible but
users must do so through MakeMusic! Customer Service.
In a forthcoming maintenance release, which will be
available free of charge to owners of Finale 2004, we
will include a means to transfer registration from one
computer to another without the need to contact
MakeMusic!.

Q. What happens if I’m unable to register during
normal phone hours?  A. You can register via the
Internet 24 hours a day. Additionally, we currently
provide phone registration 24 hours a day (subject to
change).

Q. What happens if MakeMusic! ceases to exist? Will I
still be able to use the software?    A. If we cease
to exist, Finale will continue to run on your
computer. You would, however, run into problems if you
tried, for example, to register a third machine. While
we have no intention of disappearing, we take all
customer concerns seriously, and in a forthcoming
maintenance release, which will be available free of
charge to owners of Finale 2004, we will include a
means to transfer registration from one computer to
another without the need to contact MakeMusic!.

Q. How does registration work for International
customers?
A. International customers who purchased directly from
MakeMusic! register with MakeMusic!. If the seller of
your English language version of Finale software is an
authorized local territory dealer or distributor, you
may register directly through the participating local
territory distributor. A complete list of local
territory distributors by country is available in the
International section at www.finalemusic.com.

Q. What exactly is the kind of information do you
collect? Can it somehow track my machine ID?
                                                                     A. We collect
the same kind of information we’ve asked for in the
past on our registration cards. Your machine ID is
linked to your registration for user authentication.

Q. Is this a part of a scheme to force users to
upgrade in the future?

A. No. This is not the purpose of software
registration, and we have not implemented any
technologies in Finale 2004 that would allow us to do
this.

If you have a question that is not covered in our FAQ
list please send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]