On 19 Aug 2003 at 21:57, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

> At 05:34 PM 8/19/2003 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >As a software developer who has also been stolen from, I support
> >Dennis's position. Honest customers will be honest no matter what.
> >Dishonest ones, likewise, will not generate any more income for you.
> >All you do with copy protection schemes is inconvenience legitimate
> >users, the ones who won't steal from you in the first place.
>
> That may be true, but at some point an author should be entitled to a
> little pride of ownership.  I worked hard to build a product I was
> proud of.  It outraged me to find that people were willing to go to so
> much effort to steal the fruits of my labors.

Outrage is not a relevant reason for making a business decision. The
only reason is: this will make more money in the long run. Changing
your product to try to force money from people that have already
shown they are dishonest while also inconveniencing the people who
have already demonstrated honesty and loyalty seems to me a very odd
thing to do, outrage or no.

[]

> In other words, sometimes the principle is the most important thing.

That's exactly why I won't buy copy-protected software -- principle.
If the vendor is telling me WE DON'T TRUST YOU, then I don't want to
do business with them.