I interpret that statement to be EXACTLY the opposite. The way I read it, when you get your new computer, you run a procedure which exports the print/save capability (in the form of a number or file or something). You install F2004 on the new machine and then import this code/file and you are in business.

Now if your old machine completely dies such that you can't run the export procedure, that could be a problem. But you would still have the second copy available. So for this to be a problem ALL THREE of the following conditions have to occur

1 you must have two machines completely die on you without any ability to transfer the license.

2 MM must go out of business and leave no solution to the problem

3 the user group must not come up with any workable solution in the aftermath.

People are welcome to their own conclusions. To me, it seems like a lot of misplaced worrying. If MM were to go under, I wouldn't want Finale on my machine anyway. I'd be hard at work finding the second best notation program and getting on with life.

For everybody who is genuinely concerned about this issue, may I suggest a solution. Buy Dolet from Recordaire today. Install it now and export a MusicXML copy for every MUS file you may ever want to edit. As you create new MUS files, also create a corresponding MusicXML file. That way, you have all your bases covered. If MM goes under, you simply buy the best remaining notation program, get Dolet for that program, and continue on with your life.

Make sure to save two copies of those MusicXML files on both CD-R and zip disks, and put them in two different safe deposit boxes in two different banks. :)

Cheers,
CP

At 12:32 PM 8/10/2003 +0000, Robert Patterson Finale wrote:
The statement is correct so long as you keep your current computer (actually optionally 2 of em) running as long as you live. But most people upgrade computers periodically, or have hard drive crashes, etc. When that happens, you'll have to get a new reg code, and that means MM has to be there and able to provide it.