At 11:25 PM 12/16/03 +0100, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>OK, since you didn't understand the text on the Panther web site

Johannes,

Thanks for the explanation. It turns out I did understand most of the Apple
page, except how it made small windows to mouse around for selection.

>This is not about hiding windows or arranging windows, it's about _finding_
>windows.

As a very fast user of ALT-TAB and CTL-TAB (and not having seen this new
Mac thing), I don't think I'd be using such a feature because I'm at the
keyboard, not the mouse. And a screen full of little windows doesn't seem
especially different from the window full of program icons that pops up
with ALT-TAB -- except that I'd have to reach for the mouse in 'expose'.

I'm probably the wrong person to offer mouse selection as a useful
activity. :)  After I install any program, I turn off all optional
animation, icons, 3D texture, etc., and strip as much as possible of what I
perceive of as clutter. When the program looks clean, I feel I can get down
to work. I *like* a blank sheet of paper. Few programs give me a nice blank
sheet to start with (though some let me undock the more useful geegaws and
drag them over to a second monitor).

I'm at heart a keyboard user because I've never found mousing worthwhile as
a dominant way of controlling software. I spend most of my screen time
using shortcuts, function keys, hotkeys, etc., that keep my hands in one
place and apace with my thinking (in response to which over-the-shoulder
gazers often wonder how I do stuff so quickly). My mouse, trackball and
tablet are reserved for actions for which they're fast & helpful (or the
only present solution) -- Finale slurs and lines, say, or on-image painting
or drawing. Window selection has just never been one of my mousing behaviors.

I do, however, like tabbed programs -- Opera, Webber, etc. -- where a quick
glance shows the application's windows. But reaching for the mouse to
select the tabs is not something I prefer to do. (Voice command -- that's a
different story! I hope to get a nice voice controller package under the
tree...)

Just saw the mail coming in that the topic was exhausted. Probably so. :)

Dennis