At 08:42 AM 3/31/04 -0500, Aaron Sherber wrote:
>At 08:15 AM 03/31/2004, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> >The sorting isn't very helpful when the plugins are inconsistently named
> >and with hidden features. And especially the TGTools mess -- a great plugin
> >set, don't get me wrong, but one seriously in need of both an editor and
> >designer, and one very much in need of being freed from its fixed,
> >proprietary menu.
>
>Take a look at TGTool | Options | More program options | Put TGTools menu
>in menu bar.

That moves it in and out of the plugin menu, but doesn't free its
proprietary menu for re-organization with other plugins. TGTools is a big
glob, one huge .fxt file (like Forza, and unlike the wonderful Patterson)
that is set up to ignore how individuals work, think, and organize.

I'm not talking about band-aids, but rather the whole mess that is the
plugin system.

This plugin mess isn't limited to Finale -- just look at Photoshop or Paint
Shop Pro or Sonar or Audition, which are equally terrible in their
grown-like-topsy approach to plugin management (and audio plugins have
REALLY dopey names). At least Sonar goes partway in allowing the plugins to
be renamed and organized (but, alas, that organization and naming is lost
when a new VST plugin is DX-wrapped).

This bad system is made worse by the need for the user to memorize the
purpose of every plugin (and, omigawd, now there are gonna be scripts to
add to it!) ... and further complicated by the expiration of some plugins
that I used often.

That expiration, of course, should be an object lesson for those who meekly
accepted Makemusic's decision to go with challenge/response -- but that's
the big drum I beat on every once in a while, and not appropos of this
topic (aren't you glad?).

Dennis