Thanks for all the help everyone.  It confirms what I had suspected, but
it's good to have it from people who know.

C.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Wolf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 April 2004 15:30
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Finale] Trombone grace note interpretation

Portamento can be avoided if the the melodic motion is downward and the
slide contracts (or vice versa) or if the register is high enough that
the two tones required match consecutive partials of a single position.
The second tone will be tongued, but near-imperceptable tonguing is a
feature of professional trombone technique.  With a trigger, such grace
notes should be possible throughout the range of the tenor; without a
trigger, the higher the register the more possibities there will be to
realize the grace note..

That said, grace notes are quite rare in trombone writing, and many
composers write grace notes when they _expect_ a slide, so it's best to
be explicit about what you want.

Daniel Wolf
Budapest