A followup:

I've been trying to assign an "Insert" key in Apple's X11 on a Mac G4 running
Mac OS 10.2.3.

Thanks to a tip from an abiword mailing list subscriber (thank you!), I've been
trying to use the xmodmap command to do this.

I had tried

  $ xmodmap -e "keycode 121 = Insert"

to assign Insert to the F15 key (keycode 121), but it didn't work.

Thanks to a tip from an Apple X11 mailing list subscriber (thank you!), I used
the xev command to see what X11 "sees" when I pressed various keys. It turns
out that F15 (and F14 and F13) aren't detected at all in xev. F12 was detected
(keycode 119), so I tried

  $ xmodmap -e "keycode 119 = Insert"

Bingo. F12 successfully switches abiword to "Overtype" mode.

Thanks to all for your help!

-Bo Parker