Thanks, Alexander.  First, I should probably tell you that I have wxmaxima
looking into /sw/bin/maxima. Is that OK?  It does seem to do simple
calculations just fine.
When I try to change the font, I am asked where to load the new font from, and
where to save it to.  It mentions a file, style.ini, under /sw/bin (I suppose
because I pointed it to /sw/bin/maxima to begin with), but there is no such
file.  So I am unable to change the font until I know where to look for them.
It sucks to be ignorant.