Hi. I have a package which currently creates a file outside /sw. It adds a file to /etc/xinetd.d/ so your computer acts as a POP3 server so you can get Hotmail in any e-mail client. The person who is looking over my package isn't sure about my modifying outside /sw but in an effort to keep it as easy for the end user as possible, I wanted it to be automated. If I add a PostRmScript to remove the file, will this be acceptable?

Also, what does "make install" do, or how can I find out what it does? I'm asking because to install the software I created the package for, I just need to copy the binary it makes somewhere. I don't know what a "make install" will do so my install script is simply a "cp file target". I don't know how to guarantee it will be installed into the /sw/sbin/ folder as I want. My file I mentioned above needs to know the full path so it needs to be predictable.

On an unrelated note (because I don't want to join another mailing list to ask this), I got an error while installing gimp (fink install gimp). I am using Apple's X11 so with the many choices at the beginning of installation, I chose to install system-xfree86. It stops compiling with this error:
---------------
dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system- xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
(Reading database ... 5951 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking system-xfree86 (from .../system-xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system- xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/system- xfree86_4.2-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-xfree86-4.2-1
This happens right after it sets up libtiff.

Thanks in advance.

-Jared