On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 03:08 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

If they are meant as commands typed by the user, PLEASE PLEASE do not
put ".pl" on the send of the script!  This is not the Unix Way.

".pl" means "Perl Library".  It's meant to be used with "do" or
"require" within another script, not as something typed by a
user. Perl *programs* did not have that on the end until Windows Perl
came along, needing the extension to know that it's really a Perl
program.  Stupid Windows.

Randal,

Thanks for the input. They are indeed meant as commands typed by the user and I understand your concerns (BTW, the 'offending' module is bioperl which is distributed among various platforms, including Windows). I am not so familiar with perl, so was not aware of such conventions.

I am a little bit hesitant to change the name of the scripts, though, because the user will rely on the tutorials/documentation of the package which all use the .pl extension. I will discuss this too on the bioperl mailing list, and from there decide what to do. A possible solution could be to put a warning in the package description and remove the extension for the fink package, or put symlinks from foo.pl to foo in /sw/bin.

thanks again for pointing this out,

- Koen.