Blair Zajac wrote:
[]
g77 3.4 fixes some bugs that are exposed using the assembler apple ships
with the gcc 3.3 update (g77 3.3.1 won't work if you have the gcc 3.3
update).  There is nothing special about the 20030827 snapshot - it was
just the latest one available when I built the package.

Jeff,

I just noticed that 3.3.2 was released on ftp.gnu.org.  Here are
the fixes in 3.3.2 spec

Darwin (and MacOS X) specific
10900 trampolines crash

PowerPC-specific
11087 [powerpc64-linux] GCC miscompiles raid1.c from linux kernel 11319 loop miscompiled on ppc32 11949 ICE Compiler segfault with ffmpeg -maltivec code

Is the trampoline crash the issue that is fixed in the 3.4 snapshot?and

No, I don't think any of the above bugs has anything to do with "the" fortran bug. That bug was patched here http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-07/msg02565.html
but I don't know if this was ever backported to 3.3

In any case, the g77 compile problems have nothing to do with all of this. The newer the sources, the higher the probablity that the G5 is supported. Unless, of course, you can get your hands on Apple's sources instead of pure gcc.