On Dec 11, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

Jack Howarth wrote:
Alexey,
  What I had in mind was to default fink to use the gcc-4.2 and
g++-4.2 compilers if present on a system but to allow both the
ability to override this behavior on an info file basis as well
as system-wide through an optional entry in fink.conf.

We already have the provision to do this, through the GCC: field, so in
theory we should be in good shape.  (I presume the ABI changed again
between apple's 4.0 and 4.2?)

No, fortunately, the ABI didn't change. 4.2.1 should be a drop-in replacement, assuming that stricter error checking and/or bugs don't cause problems. Of course, we all know what happens when we assume... :)

Daniel