On Dec 11, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

Benjamin,
  That sounds great, but we should still provide a way for
an info file to force gcc-4.0 and g++-4.0 to be used
even in the presence of gcc-4.2 and g++-4.2. It would also
be nice to provide a fink.conf option to do the same
globally. That should prevent anyone from complaining about
being forced to use Apple's GCC 4.2.
             Jack

In most cases, a SetCC: and/or SetCXX: field should do the trick for individual info files. Allowing users to change which compiler is used globally could be problematic. Technically, it would violate Fink policy since debs would be built differently. But more to the point, some packages might build with one compiler but not the other. It could cause support headaches for maintainers. Then again, maybe it'll work fine. I guess the first thing to do is to try building with the new compiler and see what happens.

Daniel