Hey, folks.  As some of you may know, XQuartz decided to change how the default
libXt is built on XQuartz 2.7.9, (from flat namespace to two-level namespace)
which resulted in us having to modify the builds of openmotif and its
reverse-dependencies, and also resulting in breakage for packages that use
libXaw3d if that library and the user-package are built with different
namespace options.

Unfortunately, for 2.7.10, they’re making more changes, such that the
flat-namespace libXt is now effectively unusable for new builds.  We’re going
to provide a package for that (currently under evaluation), with a private
libXt.

(please correct me if I’ve misstated anything)

We’re in discussion about how best to handle the two-level libXt.  The options
seem to be:
1)  Use a private two-level libXt library.  The downside to this is that it
means packages that use libXaw3d will require perpetual tweaking to use that.
2)  Use a public two-level libXt, e.g.. have the headers and libraries in
standard Fink locations.  The downside here is that enforcement of using our
library rather than X11’s won’t be as automatic as using a private library.
3)  Use a versioned XQuartz dependency.  A couple downsides here are: we don’t
currently track the aggregate Xquartz version, but only the versions of some of
the components—and the libXt version information  that we have (based on the
version in its .pc file) *didn’t* change with the change on Xquartz 2.7.9;
also, we’re going to want to wait until 2.7.10 is out (probably)—I don’t want
to rely on pre-releases.

Anyway, we need _some_ way to have motif-users and xaw3d-users build and run
reliably, so any community feedback on this would be welcome.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison