I think you don't have much experience with *nix in general. A lot of free
software is ported to many different OSes, Solaris, all the flavors of
Linux, BSD, etc. Some programs remain firmly tied to one Linux distro,
etc, and you have to port them yourself.

Your idea, while interesting academically, would just be a good way of
making software run slower.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $2.50 = mocha latte