On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 07:35 PM, Gary Olson wrote:

First I want to thank the developer's at Fink. I have Fink up and running on Jaguar and Apple's X11, and I really did not have much trouble. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone in the mailing list can answer.

1) I have WindowMaker running with Apple's X11, but I cannot right click and get wmaker's Application Menu. Everything else in wmaker seems to work fine. Has anyone else had this problem since they switched to Apple's X11? X11's Application Menu works just fine, but there are quite a few more things on the wmaker Application Menu besides applications. My .xintrc file has the following:

source /sw/bin/init.sh
exec wmaker
On X11, WindowMaker crashes as soon as I touch on the bar. So, I can't help with this.

2) I tried to set up bash. I downloaded Fink's bash package and installed it. I then followed the directions in the README file for setting up config files, but I can not get the Terminal app to change to bash.
So, do you want to get bash to be your login shell, right? If so, the rigth way to go is edit your user profile with NetInfo Manger. OS X is very different on this shell setup.

Caveat: any modification to NetInfo can be UTTERLY FATAL. There is a great risk to screw up your system instantly. Beware.

Also, I can not get chsh to work from the command line either in Terminal.app or in xterm or rxvt when running the X11 server.
What do you mean? You can't get it to work even by typing "csh"?

I tried changing the Terminal preferences from executing the /usr/bin/login to /sw/bin/bash or /sw/bin/init.sh, but neither did anything but hang the Terminal.app.
Are you on 10.2.x? or 10.1.x? On 10.2.x, you have /bin/bash, /bin/zsh, /bin/csh = /bin/tcsh, and set your Preference to /bin/bash, etc. (But it seems you need to hit return in the entry of path-to-shell to get Terminal to recognize the change you made.)

Kow