I assume that you can't just try a reinstall of ghostscript6 either.  If
that's the case, maybe try changing "installed" to "not-installed".

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 06:36, Kow K wrote:
> Dear Fink users,
>
> I need you help. I'm really stuck. I'm on 0.5.1.cvs, 0.11.2, running on
> 10.2.3
>
> THE PROBLEM:
>
> All update processes are being blocked a puzzling "missing version"
> error related to ghostscript6. For example, when I try to update
> kdebase3, among others, it fails due to dpkg "parse error", as the
> following:
>
> $ fink update kdebase3
> sudo /sw/bin/fink  update kdebase3
> Information about 2162 packages read in 3 seconds.
>
> The following package will be installed or updated:
>   kdebase3
> The following 3 additional packages will be installed:
>   kdebase3-shlibs kdelibs3 kdelibs3-shlibs
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> dpkg -i
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/kde/kdelibs3-
> shlibs_3.1-13_darwin-powerpc.deb
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/kde/kdelibs3_3.1-
> 13_darwin-powerpc.deb
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/sw/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 6178
> package `ghostscript6':
>   missing version
> ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 2
> Failed: can't batch-install packages:
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/kde/kdelibs3-
> shlibs_3.1-13_darwin-powerpc.deb
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/kde/kdelibs3_3.1-
> 13_darwin-powerpc.deb
>
> The offending lines in are:
>
> Package: ghostscript6
> Section: text
>
> This problems happens every time I try update something. I tried "fink
> scanpackages", "fink index", to no avail.
>
> FYI, "fink list ghost" gives the following, which indicates that
> ghostscript6 isn't installed (or incomplete):
>
> $ fink list ghost
> Information about 2162 packages read in 4 seconds.
>
>       ghostscript      8.00-2       Interpreter for PostScript and PDF
>   i   ghostscript-fon  6.0-3        Standard fonts for Ghostscript
>       ghostscript-nox  8.00-2       Interpreter for PostScript and PDF
>       ghostscript6     6.01-3       Interpreter for PostScript and PDF,
> v6.01...
>       ghostscript6-no  6.01-4       Intrp. for PostScript/PDF, v6.01
> (for teT...
>       kghostview       3.1-12       KDE - postscript viewer
>       system-ghostscr  7.05-3       Placeholder package for manually
> installe...
>       system-ghostscr  6.01-1       Placeholder package for manually
> installe...
>       x-ghostscript-f  20020206-3   Allows ghostscript fonts to be used
> withi...
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Kow

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213