On 09 Nov 2007, at 19:16, Sebastien Maret wrote:

> Maybe I am overlooking something, but why do you need ATLAS on 10.5?
> Both BLAS and Lapack libraries (which I think is what ATLAS provides)
> are present in /usr/lib since 10.4 (Intel). They were missing on 10.4
> PPC, so I filled out a radar about a year ago; Apple sent me an email
> a few days ago saying that this was fixed in 10.5, but I haven't
> checked.
  A couple of possible reasons :
1) Apple's libs have at some times been known to lack some symbols.
2) To have also the corresponding headers, if you want to compile
against.
3) To have also the corresponding man pages, if you want to use the
libs in your programs.
4) To have the choice between linking against an all-encompassing dylib
or, if you program uses only a very small fraction of the code,
against the  .a archives,
to gain some speed and diminish the footprint.
5) If it is to do scientific work, which has to remain check-able, to
decrease the blackbox aspect.
6) To have libraries tuned to your own machine, with significant
speed benefits expected.
Was trying to time netlib's blas tests (in atlas' infotest part)
against both, to illustrate the above,
against both dylib's, but with /usr/lib/libblas.dylib, but while
xblat1s and xblat1d had no
problems, it ran into a seg-fault with the complex counterparts ...
Avoiding that type of trouble may be an additional reason ....

Jean-Francois