One of the problems is that nobody could tell for sure where such
things should go (in the past .xinitrc used to work flawlessly, but
now - either there or even under the new place:
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc - the xclipboard does not launch with
X11 :( )

There used to be an extraordinary reference material for X on Mac, by
Sao, back in the days of Panther, but it does not look like having
been updated for the new "animals" (Leopard in particular):

http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/index.html

Stefan