On Jan 14, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

I'm trying to install GNU's R.

The install of r-base went fine, but when I tried to follow the instructions for installation fo the GUI;

R.app no longer included in the R source distribution. To install, go to http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/, download and install R- GUI.dmg. You will then need to edit Info.plist inside the app bundle to point to /sw/Library/R.Framework (instead of /Library/R.Framework).
-- http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/r-base

The installer refused to allow me to install the GUI.

"You cannot install R GUI for Mac OS X on this volume. Requires Mac OS X 10.4.4 or higher."

I should point out that the installer contains 4 packages. "gfortran.pkg", "R-Framework.pkg", "R-GUI.pkg", and "tcltk.pkg". Since the others are already installed via Fink, I only tried to install R-GUI.

The fix was to edit the Info.plist in the bundle for R-GUI.dmg *before* installing. I'd like to suggest a change to the documentation. Perhaps something like the below.

R.app no longer included in the R source distribution. To install, go to http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/, and download, move a copy of "R-GUI.dmg" to your desktop, and edit Info.plist inside the "R- GUI.dmg" bundle to point to /sw/Library/R.Framework (instead of /Library/ R.Framework).
Once R-GUI knows where the Framework resides, you can install.
-- http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/r-base

Ben

I did a bit more digging. When I try to run R from inside the installed bundle, I get

./R
dyld: Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/ Resources/lib/libR.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/./R
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Meanwhile the Info.plist file in the bundle does not contain a reference to the R.framework.

Ben