Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Jan 14, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
|
|> I'm trying to install GNU's R.
|>
|> The install of r-base went fine, but when I tried to follow the
instructions for installation fo the GUI;

|> R.app no longer included in the R source distribution. To install, go
to http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/, download and install
R-GUI.dmg. You will then need to edit Info.plist inside the app bundle
to point to /sw/Library/R.Framework (instead of /Library/R.Framework).
|> -- http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/r-base
|>
|> The installer refused to allow me to install the GUI.
|>
|> "You cannot install R GUI for Mac OS X on this volume. Requires Mac
OS X 10.4.4 or higher."

|> I should point out that the installer contains 4 packages.
"gfortran.pkg", "R-Framework.pkg", "R-GUI.pkg", and "tcltk.pkg". Since
the others are already installed via Fink, I only tried to install R-GUI.

|> The fix was to edit the Info.plist in the bundle for R-GUI.dmg
*before* installing. I'd like to suggest a change to the documentation.
Perhaps something like the below.

to http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/, and download, move a copy of
|> "R-GUI.dmg" to your desktop, and edit Info.plist inside the "R-GUI.dmg"
|> bundle to point to /sw/Library/R.Framework (instead of
/Library/R.Framework).
|> Once R-GUI knows where the Framework resides, you can install.
|> -- http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/r-base
|>
|> Ben
|>

| I did a bit more digging. When I try to run R from inside the
installed bundle, I get

| ./R
| dyld: Library not loaded:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
|   Referenced from: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/./R
|   Reason: image not found
| Trace/BPT trap
|
| Meanwhile the Info.plist file in the bundle does not contain a
reference to the R.framework.

| Ben
|
| -------------------------

Jeff W. isn't maintaining the package any more so I took him off the reply.

This issue points out why it's a pain to try to have anything integrate
with non-Fink 3rd-party stuff--they like to change things around, and we
have to figure out how to adjust our packages accordingly.  In this case
it looks like you're also going to need to do something like

sudo install_name_tool
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/lib/libR.dylib \
/sw/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
/Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/./R

See if that works--if so then we'll update the docs accordingly.