Mark J. Reed wrote:
> OK, that confirms that what Martin said is true of Snow Leopard, which
> I don't think was in question.  But he said it had been true since
> Leopard, and that's the part that I think is in error.  If it wasn't
> changed until SL, that would also explain why the current problem
> didn't show up until SL.

No, this behavior has been the same since the beginning of Leopard.
There has been a long campaign of correction of Fink packages,
eliminating "echo -n". Seeing who is its maintainer, I don't know why
altpdftex has escaped until now.

[]
>>> $ sh
>>> sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
>>> Hellosh-3.2$ exit
>>> $ sh --posix
>>> sh-3.2$ echo -n Hello
>>> Hellosh-3.2$

I don't know how you do this, but it's not what I get on Leopard. Are
you sure you aren't running Tiger? Or do you set or unset the
environment variable COMMAND_MODE in one opf your startup scripts?

In the shells I have looked at on Leopard, this environment variable is
always set to unix2003. I am not sure where it is set, probably in the
Finder, but everything inherits this, unless it is changed explicitly.

If you run altpdflatex with COMMAND_MODE=unix2003, you get the POSIX-sh
behavior Ben has seen on SnowLeopard and I have described on Leopard. If
you run it with COMMAND_MODE=legacy (and this is what TeXShop apparently
does on Leopard), you get the behavior Mark is seeing in sh.

Try (on Leopard, I am not near my SL machine right now)

env COMMAND_MODE=unix2003 sh -c 'echo -n asdf'
env COMMAND_MODE=legacy sh -c 'echo -n asdf'

--
Martin