Mark J. Reed wrote:
> OK, that confirms that what Martin said is true of Snow Leopard, which
> I don't think was in question.  But he said it had been true since
> Leopard, and that's the part that I think is in error.  If it wasn't
> changed until SL, that would also explain why the current problem
> didn't show up until SL.

Here is a link (almost 3 years old) from Apple, explaining these issues:
<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/Darwin/RN-Unix03Conformance/index.html>
and here is a discussion about TeXShop/simpdftex in this connection
<http://www.tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-November/032703.html>

--
Martin