> On Mar 21, 2016, at 10:57, Bhavesh Dharmani <dharman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear A. Hansen,
>
> Few more clarifications:
> - This was on OS X 10.10.5

The qt4-base-x11 package is broken on all of 10.9-10.11 for reasons which are
independent of any particular OS—they are due to changes in OpenSSL.

> -  Once again to narrate the things:
>      The command: fink install octave382-qtx11 did gave error message.
>       But, the command: fink install octave-qtx11 was successful and
> installed octave.

I couldn’t tell that from what you posted before.  In any case you can’t have
octave-qtx11 without octave382-qtx11, because the former depends on the latter
explicitly.

>       Then command: fink install control-atlas-oct382 gave the same error
> message (same as that for command -  fink install octave382-qtx11  )

That’s because you are now building octave382-atlas-qtx11 in both cases, which
in turn requires qt4*-x11

> -   Two things about the installed octave:
>            (i) when I open octave on terminal, it gives the following message:
>           ~ dharmanibc$ `which octave`; exit
>           GNU Octave, version 3.8.2
>                   Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin"
>       (ii) The command on octave: (octave:1>) --force-gui
>            gives error: in x-- or --x, x must be defined first

You don’t run “--force-gui” from the Octave prompt.  You do it from the shell
where you start octave.

$ octave --force-gui

> Hope the information is useful.
> Regards,
> Behaves

Try “fink -it list octave”.

My guess is that you might have actually installed an Octave build which lacks
the Qt X11 GUI, and that will make it clearer as to what packages are actually
installed.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison