The amazing thing is that the George Mason L. Rev. accepted it.

This is another of his recent papers:  "Do Androids Dream?': Personhood and
Intelligent Artifacts <http://ssrn.com/abstract=1725983>"

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM, C D Tavares <c...@libertyhaven.com> wrote:

> The entire paper seems to hinge on a massave fallacy:
>
> Today, when a concerted effort is made to obliterate this point, it cannot
> be repeated too often that the Constitution is a limitation on the
> government, not on private individuals -- that it does not prescribe the
> conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government -- that
> it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizens'
> protection against the government.
> --AYN RAND
>
> It is ridiculous a priori to propose that a private citizen cannot perform
> actions that would be unconstitutional for a government to perform.  A
> private school may choose to accept only Catholics or blacks; a public
> school may not.  A private business owner may give hiring preference to his
> brother-in-law; a government bureau may not.  A fraternal organization or
> club may close its business and social functions to non-members; a
> government may not.  A private editor-in-chief or TV producer may refuse
> all content and commentary favorable to one side of a political issue; a
> government media outlet may not.  A private welfare organization can take a
> recipient's "attitude" into account; a government welfare organization
> cannot.
>
> Another basic error in this piece is that the state has a "monopoly of
> deadly force."  The state has a monopoly on INITIATING deadly force.  Any
> citizen has a right to RESPOND to deadly force with deadly force in defense.
>
> I'd also ask this fellow to point out specifically where in the text I may
> find a "fundamental constitutional right to life."
>
> Is this what they're teaching in law school these days?  I don't know
> anything about USC, but I'm surprised to see sophistry of this caliber
> being published by George Mason.
>
> On May 8, 2013, at 1:42 PM, "Olson, Joseph E." <jol...@hamline.edu> wrote:
>

> "The Value of Life: Constitutional Limits on Citizens’ Use of Deadly
> Force"<http://hq.ssrn.com/Journals/RedirectClick.cfm?url=http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2256035&partid=47512&did=171898&eid=188278554>
>  [image: Free Download]
> George Mason Law Review, Vol. 21,
> 2014<http://hq.ssrn.com/Journals/RedirectClick.cfm?url=http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/PIP_Journal.cfm?pip_jrnl=149110&partid=47512&did=171898&eid=188278554>
>
> F. PATRICK
> HUBBARD<http://hq.ssrn.com/Journals/RedirectClick.cfm?url=http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=624151&partid=47512&did=171898&eid=188278554>
> , University of South Carolina - School of Law
> Email: hubb...@law.sc.edu
>
> This Article argues that most states have unconstitutionally overbroad
> authorizations for citizens to use deadly force in the context of crime
> prevention, citizen’s arrest, and defense of one’s “castle.” Similarly,
> some authorizations of deadly force for self-defense in public areas may be
> [...]

Professor Joseph Olson, J.D.(*Hon*. Duke), LL.M.(*Tax*. Florida)
               o    651-523-2142
Hamline University School of Law (MS-D2037)
                    f     651-523-2236
St. Paul, MN  55113-1235
                                     c    612-865-7956
jol...@hamliine.edu