 From: "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
To: Phil Lee <maryland_al...@yahoo.com>; "firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu"
<firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:32 AM
Subject: RE: New approach

                But what differentiates a “bill of attainder” from lots of
other government actions targeting a particular person is precisely that “bills
of attainders” are inflictions of punishment that should normally require due
process.  By saying that legislatively-imposed outlawry of a particular person
is a bill of attainder, you are saying that withdrawal of criminal protection
is a punishment that requires due process.

                But let’s set aside the named person, and turn to any of my
other hypotheticals.  “It shall not be a crime for squatters to kill anyone
trying to nonlethally evict them.”  “It shall not be a crime for anyone to
steal from diamond merchants.”  “It shall not be a crime for anyone to kill
anyone who has been accused of rape.”  “It shall not be a crime for anyone to
lock up indefinitely anyone who has been accused of rape but found not guilty
as a result of a technicality.”  No deprivation of life, liberty, or property
without due process?

                As to the shooting of fleeing felons, that of course involves
positive government action, not just withdrawal of protection, so it’s not
really on point.  And of course using deadly force to apprehend nonviolent
criminals has been held to violate the Constitution, see Tennessee v. Garner.

                Eugene