 From: "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
To: C D Tavares <c...@libertyhaven.com>; "Firearms Reg, List"
<firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:17 PM
Subject: RE: New approach

    Ah, but a bill of attainder is a legal punishment for a crime -- a denial
of life, liberty, or property without due process.  If a statute that says
"It's OK to kill John Doe" is a bill of attainder, that's because the
withdrawal of protection against murder is a government action that must be
scrutinized under constitutional rules.  If that's outside the police power,
and thus unconstitutional, it's because the Constitution does presuppose a
certain background level of entitlement to legal protection.  (Incidentally,
the punishment I mention used to be called "outlawry," though it
 was indeed seen as subject to the requirements of due process; outlawry was,
by the time the Constitution was framed, rare, but was understood as a judicial
punishment that could only be instituted after a normal trial.  This reflected
the notion that stripping a person of his legal protection was a substantial
deprivation of liberty.)

    And we can see the same, I think, if we remove the naming of an individual.
 Say that a statute provides that anyone accused of rape loses his protection
against murder.  Is that just a matter of the general police power, and not a
concern of the federal Constitution (or even a state Constitution, given that a
state constitutional right would trump state statutory or common-law rules,
including in theory criminal defenses)?  Maybe, but it's not at all clear to
me.  A provision that someone loses his protection against murder strikes me as
a denial of life or liberty, even
 if it isn't the state that directly does the killing.

    Eugene

> All of the below is true, of course.  Yet the "legal protection against murder
> that all of us possess" is a matter for the general police power, which is not
> (or, in view of ever-creeping centralism, at least SHOULD not be) a concern of
> the federal constitution.  So are the laws defining when a homicide is murder
> or valid self-defense, which seems to me to make all this mawkish reference
> to federal unconstitutionality ridiculous on its face.
>
> The laws do, indeed, differ between states, sometimes widely.  For example,
> in Texas, it is legal for a bystander to employ deadly force against an
> arsonist.
> Most states consider this a property crime, but in Texas one is allowed to
> assume that the structure at risk is occupied.  This is not "freeing people to

 do as they please" -- the collective state, which gets to define the
> parameters of the police power, has simply defined them differently.
>
> The law you propose as an example sounds to me like a bill of attainder,
> which is specifically prohibited to the federal government by the
> constitution, so is probably not a good example.  (Perhaps the difficulty of
> finding a good example that is constitutionally permissible is an indicator of
> how well this problem is already covered.)  However, compare this "bill of
> attainder" in principle with the right of a private shopkeeper to post photos
> of deadbeats who have verifiably stiffed him on a "do not serve these
> people" poster, visible to the public, with no due process required
> whatsoever.
>
> On May 8, 2013, at 6:12 PM, "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >                 (1)  The fundamental constitutional right to life appears,
> >I think, in
> the Due Process Clauses.  I agree, though, that it protects against
> governmental deprivations, not against private deprivations.
> >
> >                 (2)  Also, while I agree (without having read the article,
> >though)
> that generally allowing the use of deadly force in response to various
> intrusions is constitutionally permissible, I think the reason is the
> traditional
> latitude offered for self-defense; I'm not sure that the argument that private
> self-defense is just "the conduct of private individuals" itself carries the
> day,
> when it is the government that is announcing an exception from the
 general
> protection that it offers against killing.
> >
> > A hypothetical:  Say that the legislature concludes, without a trial, that
> > John
> Doe is a bad person, and announces that he may be killed without legal
> consequence.  Would we say that this is constitutionally permissible (even if
> otherwise improper), on the grounds that the legislature is simply freeing
> people to do what they please?  Or would we say that stripping from this
> person the legal protection against murder that all of possess is
> unconstitutional?  I could be persuaded otherwise, but I'm inclined to say the
> latter.  If I'm right, this of course doesn't mean that allowing deadly force
> in
> defense of person or even property is unconstitutional; but it does suggest
> that the constitutionality stems from the tradition of such allowance (and
> might be in some
 measure limited by this tradition), and not by a positive
> rights vs. negative rights distinction.
> >
> > Eugene

 individuals -- that it does not prescribe the
> conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government -- that it
> is
> not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizens' protection
> against the government.
> > --AYN RAND
> >
> > It is ridiculous a priori to propose that a private citizen cannot perform
> actions that would be unconstitutional for a government to perform.  A
> private school may choose to accept only Catholics or blacks; a public school
> may not.  A private business owner may give hiring preference to his
> brother-in-law; a government bureau may not.  A fraternal organization or
> club may close its business and social functions to non-members; a
> government may not.  A private editor-in-chief or TV producer may refuse all
> content and commentary favorable to one side of a political issue; a

 government media outlet may not.  A private welfare organization can take a
> recipient's "attitude" into account; a government welfare organization
> cannot.
> >
> > Another basic error in this piece is that the state has a "monopoly of
> > deadly
> force."  The state has a monopoly on INITIATING deadly force.  Any citizen
> has a right to RESPOND to deadly force with deadly force in defense.
> >
> > I'd also ask this fellow to point out specifically where in the text I may
> > find a
> "fundamental constitutional right to life."
> >
> > Is this what they're teaching in law school these days?  I don't know
> anything about USC, but I'm surprised to see sophistry of this caliber being
> published by George Mason.
> >
> > On May 8, 2013, at 1:42 PM, "Olson, Joseph E." <jol...@hamline.edu>
> wrote:
> >

> > "The Value of Life: Constitutional Limits on Citizens' Use of Deadly Force"
> > George Mason Law Review, Vol. 21, 2014
> >
> > F. PATRICK HUBBARD, University of South Carolina - School of Law
> > Email: hubb...@law.sc.edu
> >
> > This Article argues that most states have unconstitutionally overbroad
> authorizations for citizens to use deadly force in the context of crime
> prevention, citizen's arrest, and defense of one's "castle." Similarly, some
> authorizations of deadly force for self-defense in public areas may be
> unconstitutional. The starting points of this argument are the fundamental
> value of life, the state's monopoly of deadly force, and the
 fundamental
> constitutional right to life. Because of the state's monopoly of deadly force,
> any use of such force is either legitimate or proscribed. The lack of a third
> category of "private" use of deadly force affects constitutional review of
> authorizations of the use of deadly force in two ways.
> >
> > First, a citizen's use of authorized deadly force is subject to the same
> constitutional limitations that apply to a governmental official's use of such
> force. Consequently, because some authorizations permit citizens to use
> deadly force in a way that would be unconstitutional if a government official
> had used the same force, these citizen authorizations are also
> unconstitutional.
> >
> > Second, equal protection and substantive due process review of an
> authorization require a stringent standard of review in terms of the rights of

 citizens killed as a result of the authorization of deadly force. More