13.04.2011 11:45, Geoff Worboys wrote:
> More seriously.  Yes I know there are important security
> considerations BUT I thought perhaps people were overlooking
> what I see as the biggest potential advantage of the request.
> Just because it is a risk does not take away the potential
> for advantage.

   And what this advantage is?
   End-user application are usually written to work with certain DB. Connection
to any
different DB will crash them. And even if DB structure by coincidence fits an
expected
one, results of user's work can be unexpected.
   Say, I have two similar DB on server: production one and development one.
User in
application sees two databases and have the choice - which database to connect
to. In the
best case I would expect complaints "I have been working hard for two days, but
all data
are lost".
   So, such registration is useless for end users.
   Developers already have all their databases registered in IBExpert/Flame
Robin/etc.
Besides, their databases can be on different servers.
   So this feature is useless for them too.

--
   SY, SD.