Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 13.04.2011 11:45, Geoff Worboys wrote:
>> More seriously.  Yes I know there are important security
>> considerations BUT I thought perhaps people were overlooking
>> what I see as the biggest potential advantage of the request.
>> Just because it is a risk does not take away the potential
>> for advantage.

>    And what this advantage is?
>    End-user application are usually written to work with
> certain DB. Connection to any different DB will crash them.

Hmmm... I find it hard to believe that I am the only person to
use Firebird more widely than that.  For my application there
are various databases, each identified by a common table (which
if it does not exist means it's not one of "our" databases).

These databases include things such as various archives etc,
storage separated for practical reasons.  The details are all
maintained in a central administrative database using an
"manager" application that the user-administrator MUST run on
the Firebird server because that application keeps the admin
database and the aliases.conf file in sync.  (End-user apps
access the admin database to find the list of databases that
are available for specific functions.)

This works quite well, but something like the request would
solve a few problems.

  . at the moment the manager app MUST be run on the
    server computer to get access to aliases.conf

  . as a result of this the server must currently be
    Windows (at least until I get around to writing
    a Linux variation)

  . the database administrator must be given operating
    system administrative access to that computer (in
    order to maintain the data file in the program
    directory)

As you can see I already have an adequate solution for my
purposes, so I am not going to argue too hard for this request.
However I do think the solution could be better if I were not
tied in this way to a Windows server ... and anyway, this gives
you at least one example of why someone may want to let their
users maintain aliases.conf via some controlled interface.

--
Geoff Worboys
Telesis Computing