I am looking for the cause of CORE-3701 / JDBC-233, but I can't identify
the problem.

The problem is this: When using Jaybird native (using fbclient 2.5.1)
the parametrized insert of a single character into a CHAR(1) column
fails with error:
335544569. Dynamic SQL Error
SQL error code = -303
arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation
string right truncation

The error occurs in the following situations:
1) Database with UTF8 as the default character set:
* Connection character set NONE
* Connection character set UTF8

2) Database with ISO8859_1 as the default character set:
* Connection character set UTF8

It works in the following situations:
1) Database with UTF8 as the default character set:
* Connection character set ISO8859_1

2) Database with ISO8859_1 as the default character set:
* Connection character set NONE
* Connection character set ISO8859_1

Using the pure-java implementation also works.

I can't seem to find the problem in the Java code nor in the native code
of Jaybird. Could someone with more familiarity with the Firebird server
or fbclient side look at it.

JDBC-233 contains a reduced example (for Windows with a 32 bit JVM) with
a readme.txt with instructions to execute it.

This example contains the current Jaybird 2.2 jar and dll, but this
could easily be replaced with the Jaybird 2.1.6 jar and dll (or .so).
--
Mark Rotteveel