On 02/13/12 11:53, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> 13.02.2012 11:39, Alex Peshkoff wrote:
>
>> The simplest part of the task. Just make them offset_t - very logical
>> name for offsets :-)
> It depends on what headers you include. For example, our own offset_t
> defined in File.h is always 64-bit :-)

sorry - certainly ptrdiff_t

>> Certainly, a lot of places where lock size is calculated should be checked.
>> BTW - why signed values are used? As far as I remember end-of-list is 0,
>> not -1.
> As usual, magic numbers are used. See DUMMY_OWNER, for example.

Ah - yes, certainly...

>> Taking into an account that most of users do not need>2Gb of lock
>> table, 64-bit offsets (at least for 2.5) should better remain tunable
>> build parameter, turned off by default.
> I'm not really sure this is strictly required for v2.x. We surely must
> add an overflow protection, here I agree.

A check in shared memory grow code should do a trick.

> But if it would be possible to
> have ULONG offsets instead of SLONG, it would double the limit. RedSoft
> could have their 2500 connections safely and nobody else is affected, so
> this sounds as a good compromise for a point release, IMHO.

May be use 1,2,3 instead -1,-2,-3 for 'magics' like DUMMY_OWNER?
IMHO real offsets can't be so small.

>> What about FB3 - may be we should start to think about lock-manager as
>> replaceable dynamic library?
> I'm thinking about it for a long time already :-) And yes, it's likely
> to happen in v3.

The worst is the moment when that library is going to be unloaded. All
the rest looks quite easy to do.