>> =>   Does that mean: We have a single executable in Firebird 3. When -m is
>> used, this means a single server process and the SharedCache,
>> SharedDatabase parameters controll whether it's SS or SC. When -m is not
>> used, then it's one process per connection thus CS.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>
> Basically, yes.
>
> The question is what to do if the config options conflict with the
> running mode. There was a suggestion to adjust the -m setting
> dynamically, depending on the SharedDatabase option. It counds suitable
> at the first glance. However, I foresee some issues if someones
> explicitly installs "SuperServer" but it actually runs as "Classic", or
> vice versa :-)

Whenever there are options, things can get confusing. ;-)

I possibly overstress that area, so I'm sorry to continue the discussion
... *g*

* Under the assumption that SS as a single-process model with it's
shared cache supports SMP (I think this was a primarly goal) in 3.0 like
SC in 2.5, I don't see a reason to offer SC in 3.0 at all (at least the
SC terminology; which already shows up in the missing SC part in "instsvc")?

* Or are there any benefits running a non-shared cache single-process
model against the shared cache counterpart? A shared cache model IMHO
offers a more predictable way for system operations from a page cache
(RAM) usage POV

* Unlike InterBase customers, I guess Classic won't be abonded, cause
current Firebird customers still want the per-connection fail-resistant
sandbox behaviour

* How does Embedded 3.0 fit in here? SS still with the shared database
option?

Regards,
Thomas