22.03.2012 13:00, Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:

> * Under the assumption that SS as a single-process model with it's
> shared cache supports SMP (I think this was a primarly goal) in 3.0 like
> SC in 2.5, I don't see a reason to offer SC in 3.0 at all (at least the
> SC terminology; which already shows up in the missing SC part in "instsvc")?

Personally, I agree. But we need to hear other opinions as well.

> * Or are there any benefits running a non-shared cache single-process
> model against the shared cache counterpart? A shared cache model IMHO
> offers a more predictable way for system operations from a page cache
> (RAM) usage POV

It would depend on how good the new SS handles the scalability with
different cache sizes.

> * Unlike InterBase customers, I guess Classic won't be abonded, cause
> current Firebird customers still want the per-connection fail-resistant
> sandbox behaviour

Correct.

> * How does Embedded 3.0 fit in here? SS still with the shared database
> option?

firebird.conf dictates the rules here. SharedDatabase should depend
exclusively on whether you need multiple application accessing the
database or not. SharedCache should be ideally always on, but currently
the SharedDatabase+SharedCache mode is not reliable and it has very
questionable performance benefits (if any), so perhaps SharedCache
should depend on your SharedDatabase choice.