Hello, Alex!

AP> But there is another important usage. It's a case, when databases are
AP> distributed pre-filled with some important data, and authors wish to
AP> make sure that only application, written by them, can access such
AP> database. In this case we have some additional requirements - for
AP> example, authors want to make sure that secret key and data can't be
AP> stolen replacing engine with some special build, which is a known
AP> problem for OS software. That is waht I call distribution of encrypted
AP> databases.

Well, understood. As I said, InterBase have SEP that attached to
OS, and need to be specified on connection each time, since you
moved encrypted database to another computer.
Also initial database distributor may not tell SYSDSO password
to anyone, thus making changing keys, etc, impossible in the
distributed databases.
Also I said that such encrypted distributed databases have
EUA turned on.

EUA itself makes enough to protect DB from stealing in lot
of cases (not in all, of course).

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, www.ibase.ru, (495) 953-13-34