On Tuesday 16 July 2013 15:17:49 Alex Peshkoff wrote:

> On 07/15/13 18:19, Paul Reeves wrote:
> > One problem I found is that I couldn't log in to an FB3 server on windows
> > from a linux fb2.5 client. How is that done without the legacy
> > authentication?
>
> No way. From any client <3.0 from any OS (not only linux).
> And this is by design. We have to make that step or we will always have
> to stay with that 8-byte passwords.

So we need to get the message across that using the old security means staying
with 8-byte passwords, ie almost no security.

> Certainly in A1 security is not real goal :-)
> But let's have an exact plan - when do we start to use SRP by default?

My feeling is that we should support click-through install on windows with
SYSDBA/masterkey for alpha and beta. And that from RC1 we disable that as a
default (but users can choose the option if they wish.)

This plan should be clearly documented and we should listen to feedback.

> On my mind ability to lower security level can't be available by default.
> Please also take into an account that using legacy plugin to
> authenticate breaks wire encryption.

That is another point that needs to be made clear - new security allows wire
encryption.

I know everything is more or less documented. I just have the feeling that the
presentation needs to be improved so that (old) users can see at a glance
what has changed and why they should change their old ways.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com