> On 27/08/2013 14:11, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> > 27.08.2013 20:03, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> >> I think an USING clause would be a great addition:
> >>
> >> GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY [USING SEQUENCE <name>]
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> > Basically, I don't mind, but the behavior will be different from
> > constraints in regard to the already existing object named <name>.
> > AFAIU, you suggest to reuse the sequence, right?
> >
> No. I do want to name the generated sequence, exactly like
> constraints/indexes.

But then, isn't the real issue (as reported) about the name which is used?

If FB didn't have a 31 character limit for identifiers, the solution to the
issue would to establish a 'standard' for the sequence names (ie.
"{TableName}.{ColumnName}" or "SEQ.{TableName}.{ColumnName}") just as was done
when we changed the logic which assigned the name for the Primary Key indexes.

Sean