02.01.2014 21:43, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

> It would be interesting to know which is better for performance, given
> isc_dsql_fetch, a FIRST (x) ROWS might perform better when small fetch
> sizes are used.

What do you mean by "small fetch sizes"? If it's about incomplete fetch,
i.e. only few rows are fetched and then the cursor is closed, then your
assumption is likely to be correct.

> I'd actually prefer comments like Oracle does. I think it is better for
> portability.

Given e.g. FIRST vs TOP vs ROW_NUMBER mess developed by different
vendors, I wouldn't care much about cross-database portability. Hints
are outside the SQL standard, but many other features are not there
either. I hope you don't suggest to implement everything non-standard in
the comments, do you?

SQL is a declarative language, so let's allow users to declare what they
need using the language itself.

> If we go with comments, I'd suggest that throwing exceptions for hints
> should be optional (for portability), maybe using a dpb item to turn it
> off (default on), or a server- or database specific config option.

Comments throwing exceptions from inside is not the feature I'm going to
be an author of, sorry ;-)