Ann,

> Right. And if you want to give the optimizer a hint that it should choose
> the second plan, change the query like this:
>
> select first 1000000  * from MOVIES where COMMENTS like '%yacht%  order
> by NAME;
>
> If you think your client may want more than a million rows, increase
> that number.

I mentioned this approach in my initial message and it does not look
good to me. I treat it as a workaround / hack, not a solution. Of
course, we could improve it via some syntax sugar e.g. "select first *"
(without row counter) or "select first unlimited *", but it still
doesn't look really elegant.

Also, there may be (in fact, there are) customers who need the FIRST
ROWS strategy being the default one. And rewriting a majority of their
queries to include the dummy FIRST clause is not something they can
consider seriously.