I was playing with the different access configurations for FB 3 in
firebird.conf. (with Alpha2)

With this configuration:

SharedCache = true
SharedDatabase = true

and server installed as SS. (ie, instsvc i )

Access via localhost is denied:

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0>isql -user SYSDBA -password masterkey
localhost:employee
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 28000
Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database administrator
to set up a Firebird login.

Direct access produces this error:

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0>isql -user SYSDBA -password masterkey
employee
Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 0A000
feature is not supported
-SharedDatabase and SharedCache settings cannot be both enabled at once

I got the same results after changing instsvc to use i -c (ie run as CS)

There seems to be two separate issues here:

 - The error thrown when accessing host:db seems erroneous. un/pw are defined
and correct.

 - direct access throws 'feature not supported' despite the fact that the
combination is clearly documented as legal in firebird.conf.

The reason I was trying this was to try and answer Pavel's question - how do
you run SuperClassic under FB3 on Windows? AFAICT it is not possible. I don't
mind - SuperClassic seems to share the worst features of SuperServer and
ClassicServer, and we should officially deprecate in FB3 (imo.) But the
questions will be asked - how can we run SC under FB3? and does it make any
sense?

Paul
--
Paul Reeves