29.01.2014 21:30, Leyne, Sean wrote:

> OK, but some of the config options are not compatible for all installed modes
> -- so, how do we prevent a user make the wrong selections?
>
> If someone like Paul Reeves (who has been using FB since before it was FB)
> doesn't understand all of the intricacies, how will a less experienced
> user/developer?
>
> Especially, when the installed mode it not easily seen.

Just a wild idea.

We introduce a separate (very thin) fblistener.exe (fbremote or
whatever) binary that acts similar to xinetd on posix. It will spawn
firebird.exe per every user connection. firebird.exe will detect this
situation and explicitly pass SharedCache = false and SharedDatabase =
true via API into all connect calls, thus overriding any underlying
config settings.

firebird.exe alone will be always working in the multi-threaded mode
(thus not requiring the -m switch) supporting either SC or SS, depending
on the config settings.

So, for CS one will need to install/run fblistener.exe and don't care
about anything else. For SS/SC one will need to install/run firebird.exe
and setup the config properly (SS by default).

The installer will just ask about SharedDatabase/SharedCache (or about
CS/SC/SS - although these terms become outdated with v3) and figure out
what binary should be installed and whether it's needed to change the
config.

No eight possible options anymore. Not much harder to understand than
for v2.5. Almost same for POSIX and Windows. If SC is going to be
deprecated (at least at the installer level), then setup becomes even
easier.