>> It is interesting now, that the trace works for an isql based client
>> session, even when using UTF8 as character set, but fails with e.g.
>> Database Workbench. The only difference is that isql is in the same
>> directory as embedded, but DBW isn't, although pointing to the same
>> embedded library. I guess that is the main and important difference.
>
>      I guess that embedded, loaded by DBW, can't find and load fbintl.dll or
> ICU dll's.
> Could you check this (using Process Explorer or FileMon) ? If yes, you can
> try to
> load fbembed.dll using LoadLibraryEx with LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH
> flags.

Unfortunately, according to ProcessExplorer, DBW has all embedded
related libraries loaded from the Embedded directory. E.g.:

fb_lock_1faa8dc000000100331f0000
fb_lock_1faa8dc000000100331f0000
fb_trace
fbclient.dll    Firebird SQL Server     Firebird Project        2.5.2.26540
fbintl.DLL      Firebird SQL Server     Firebird Project        2.5.2.26540
fbtrace.dll     Firebird SQL Server     Firebird Project        2.5.2.26540
ib_util.dll     Firebird SQL Server     Firebird Project        2.5.2.26540
ibdac120.bpl            Devart  3.60.0.24
icudt30.dll     ICU Data DLL    IBM Corporation and others      3.0.0.0
icuuc30.dll     IBM ICU Common DLL      IBM Corporation and others      3.0.0.0

I have also tried to explicitly set the root directory in firebird.conf
as stated in the 2.5.2 release notes p. 96 regarding changes in the
embedded deployment structure, when the executable is not in the same
directory as the embedded library. From my understanding, that change in
2.5.2 was even necessary to have a dedicated embedded
directory/installation shared by several applications.

Regards,
Thomas