No, the intention was to support non-English clients, period.

Translation of both messages and national character sets is always best
done on the client.  This shouldn't be a problem as a message file should
always be available, even if it's the default English version.  If there
isn't a message file, somebody screwed up.

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, Mark Rotteveel <m...@lawinegevaar.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:01:26 +0100, liviuslivius
> <liviusliv...@poczta.onet.pl <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > i must ask - why client not get error message if in fbclient.dll
> directory
> > firebird.msg is not present?
> > I got unknown isc error instead of server message.
> > I can understand that client can have firebird.msg translated - but if
> it
> > not have, then error message should go from server.
> >
> > I always - in my CS projects use 2 way of translations:
> > 1. All translation files must be present at server side and client must
> > send accept language info (like http protocol do)
> > and if language translation is not present then i got messages in
> default
> > server language
> > 2. Translation at client side - server always send messages in its
> default
> > language but on client side can be other translation message file
> >
> > Can Firebird work in this as i suppose standard way?
>
> Firebird only sends the error code (+ message parameters), the client
> looks up the error message and replaces message parameters where necessary.
> This removes the need to send the full messages over the wire. These byte
> savings might not be so important these days, but probably was when this
> was first implemented. It has the downside of needing to have firebird.msg
> with the client. As far as I know you do get an error message that
> firebird.msg is missing (or that might be specific to IBpp), followed by
> several unknown isc errors.
>
> This is not something that can be easily replaced without changing the
> protocol and expectations of all existing clients (including those that
> don't use fbclient.dll).
>
> BTW: One thing I have learned in the past few years is that there are no
> real "standard way"s of doing things anywhere.
>
> Mark

Jim Starkey