On 19-08-2021 20:09, Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
19.08.2021 18:29, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:

I'm not sure why the client application would need to know the statement type at all ;-)

Distinguish DDL from DML and transaction control - quite useful if you accept SQL from outside of application.

I mostly meant it's pointless to know the exact DML statement type.

For an application, but for example the JDBC API wants to know update counts. Currently, Jaybird simply returns the highest value among insert, update and delete counts. However, knowing the exact type of statement one could also choose to return the 'best' value (i.e. insert count for INSERT, update count for UPDATE, delete count for DELETE, insert + update count for UPDATE OR INSERT, and insert + update + delete counts for MERGE).

Mark Rotteveel