Steven,

 I have just stumbled upon this firewall mailing list, and saw the recent
thread in regards to the use of the WebEx product for online support. I hope
I can address your (and others) concerns.

 Yes, the WebEx product does indeed provide an online support feature.
Basically, the user is required to allow the support personnel (in your
case, the vendor, and I will refer to them as such from now on) to take
control of their desktop. At that point, the vendor has the ability to
manipulate your desktop, until such time as you stop them (by pressing a
key, for example, this is customizable).
 There are several important things to consider: first of all, the use of
this feature does indeed require manual user intervention. There is no way
(in code) to fire it up remotely. Secondly, control is over the desktop only
- that is, one could not, for example, use the WebEx product to
upload/download documents, viruses or trojans. Of course, the support person
(or your vendor) could concievably fire up IE or NS from your desktop, and
use that to download something from their site (or anywhere), but that has
nothing to do with the WebEx app as such. The session, I might add, can only
be initiated by the user - not by the vendor (as I hope the vendor has told
you).
 Lastly, but maybe most importantly, the online support feature cannot be
activated by itself. The vendor has to pay Webex for it, and we enable that
on their site. The model here is not peer-to-peer - it is
peer-to-server-to-peer. What this means is that it cant be used outside of a
specific environment - i.e. you have to connect to a Webex site that has
this feature enabled before you can even use it. In other words, simply
having the client on your box does not mean that you can use the online
support feature.

 So the question here is: why would you allow an untrustworthy party (as you
seem to imply your vendor is) control over anything inside your network, if
you are not monitoring them? VNC or PCA won't help you in this case, and in
fact, are probably less safe, since they are acting as a service that can be
triggerred remotely at any time. At least when you use WebEx you must
connect to specific sites and perform an actual authorization step before
communication is established.

 I do want to address another comment about WebEx being a trojan (you knew I
would :-). Basically, this is like saying that any sharing feature is like a
trojan. WebEx isnt any worse - and is indeed better in some senses - than a
host of programs, such as PCA and VNC which have been mentioned in this
thread. I would argue that calling it a trojan is stretching the imagination
somewhat - after all, WebEx cannot be installed on your system without your
approval, nor can it be triggerred without you asking for it, nor will it
open any backdoors of any sort for somebody to abuse, and the online support
feature only works in specific, well-defined circumstances. I just cant
understand the reference to a trojan (unless you refer to the "webex
trojan", a well known trojan that has been out there even before Webex
became a company - I think its currently in version 1.4). Webex is a meeting
client, and most users won't ever use the support feature, since it is not
the main purpose of the product.

 I hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any questions regarding Webex
and our product security, and Ill reply as best I can (without betraying
company security policies of course :-)

 Barak Engel
 Manager, Security Operations
 Webex Communications Inc.