-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Robertson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 1:08 PM
To: Barak Engel
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Barak Engel wrote:

> Paul,
>
>  Whoa! Seems like an exposed nerve there :-)))

Tunneling on purpose breaks perimeter defense.  Since we've lost the
desktop config war, that's all that's left that isn't "reviving the victim
afterwards."

>  Yes, WebEx will work through port 80. Thats a very strong feature of the
> product, and one that clients in general find most desirable (it was
indeed
> customer driven). While I understand that this might force a network admin
> who doesnt want to allow it to add another rule to their firewall, how is
> that different than dealing with thousdands of others apps out there? Just
> because the rule is of a different nature? How about if somebody
configured
> VNC or PCA on their box to use port 80, then controls it from home? How

VNC doesn't speak HTTP, nor does PCA- a simple proxy-based solution solves
that problem.

> about safeweb and triangle boy or similar services?

Same brush as WebEx, though perhaps with more paint in at least one case-
since WebEx wasn't the product that prompted the tunneling article I
referenced.

>  And no, I cant see the reference to a trojan. A trojan (or at least in
the
> malicious sense) will allow somebody to remotely control your machine
> without your knowledge, and do bad things to/with it. WebEx doesnt. Its a

Trojans can remotely control a machine with the knowlege of the person
installing them, and be installed.  I'd be pretty surprised if I couldn't
install WebEx on a server without the admin knowing.

> meeting client, for heaven's sake :-) Do you allow netmeeting? AIM? MSNM?
> Any meeting/chat capabilities? Anything of the sort? If you dont, then go
> ahead, block access to Webex as well. Its your security policies after all
> :-)))) Otherwise, I dont see how this is different.
>
>  As for installing a server in your network and connecting from home -
> impossible, since you can only install the client, and you cant control
that
> remotely. You cant install it "on a server so you can control it from
home".

So you're asserting that Oncall (a) can't be installed by an entity that
doesn't have authorization in a large enterprise, and (b) can't be abused
as a control vector if so installed?  - that seems to fly in the face of
your Web site's "Remotely reconfigure a customer's system" claim.

> Of course, you could concievably open a meeting (if your company is using
> WebEx already, so you have the ability to create a meeting, which infers
> that its already approved), get your spouse or someone in your home to
> connect to it, desktop share, go home, and if its still running (hasnt
timed
> out), be able to control your work PC desktop only (which is limited, as
Ive
> explained before). What can I say? if someone is smart enough to figure
this
> process out, they'll be smart enough to figure out a host of other things
as
> well, with a larger damage potential.

How does WebEx differentiate between my "work PC desktop" and my server?

Except that the host of other things doesn't come as support contract
mandates.  That creates a social vector that may be exploited in the
future by unreputable people.

>  We cant give you any assurance that your users won't install the WebEx
> client. How could we? How do you stop your users from downloading and
> installing backorifice for remote control of their desktop (hey, it
happens)
> as you mention? If you can control your users to such an extent as to what
> they download and install on their boxes, you should be able to block them
> from installing our client as well.
>
>  As for our security policies, architecture and third party assurances - I
> will be happy to discuss these with you under NDA, should you wish to
pursue
> a potential purchase of our product.

If you need an NDA to provide 3rd party assurance, I'll continue to make
the same recommendations.

Policies don't mean a great deal to me, and given the nature of your
service, in-band attacks are the obvious vector, and there's not a lot of
architecture which can stop in-band attacks (hence the concern over
tunneling products ;).)

>  Im not going to tell you that WebEx provides a security product. We dont.
> We provide a meeting service, one that seems to be accepted well. We're
not
> forcing anyone to use it, but of course we're happy if you do. Im not sure
> how it came to be that out of all the meeting services out there, we were
> singled out in this mailing list, but it happened and Im just trying to

You're in the remote support space, not just the meeting space, and you
were singled out because someone had a specific question about your
product- a search for archives on Google should provide the entire
context.  FWIW, I haven't seen a firewall-friendly meeting service that
I'd recommend to anyone who cares about their network integrity, so don't
feel singled out...

> help. So can we sign a peace treaty please? :-)
>
>  And a very merry christmas to all of you.

Happy holidays,

Paul